View Single Post
Old 08-14-11, 08:22 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I took my hybrid to the LBS for a tune-up via the scenic route meaning go to Golden Gate Bridge then to LBS, about 13 to 14 miles. After getting to GGB, I realized I forgot my wallet and didn't even have cash to take the bus home after dropping off the bike. Doh! Had to ride home then take the direct route to LBS. Ride ended being about 26 miles.

On the way back from GGB, there is a 1 mi section about 9% grade. For those familiar with the area this was inside the Presidio on Arguello from mainside up to the gate. A roadie passed me at the bottom and I guess he tried to leave me in the dust. He kept looking back at me as if he was expecting to ditch me. He got about 15m ahead of me at the bottom but never gained any distance afterwards even when he stood on the pedals trying to get up the hill. And here I am seated keeping up with him. He got about half-way up before he pulled to the side and dismounted. I took a look back and he was doing the walk of shame.

Ok, admittedly it's not an easy climb. It's very common to see people walking their bikes up the hill which is probably a combination of tourists and locals. I've only ever climbed that hill maybe three times and the first time was quite demoralizing. I have never dismounted and walked though.

Last edited by jsdavis; 08-14-11 at 08:27 PM.