Thread: Cadence work
View Single Post
Old 08-15-11, 12:20 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p
I am thinking that a round gear ring and a biopace gear ring may need to be pedaled differently.
No. That is the "secret" of biopace chainrings. They take advantage of the pedalling stroke. Pedal as normal, or you'll really screw them up. Saying that, studies have consistently show biopace rings do nothing for optimization. It's a marketing gimmick.

I can feel the bike surge forward on each pedal stroke
That's because with a 28x32, that's an incredibly small gear. Try riding a slightly bigger gear, but try to maintain a good cadence.

If you start bouncing you will have to slow down and then try again.
Bouncing means you're under-geared (too easy). Don't slow down. Just shift up to the next bigger gear and keep spinning.

Another thing that helps me when I am trying to spin up hill is to make sure that I concentrate on pulling up on the back side of the stroke. Sometimes I try to practice by pulling up as much as possible and pushing down as little as possible. Using these different muscles also lets my quads rest a little on some hills. I have heard some refer to a good pedal stroke as trying to scrape mud off the bottom of your shoe when your pedal stroke reaches the bottom.
Good advice.