View Single Post
Old 08-17-11, 07:33 AM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
It depends a lot on the terrain. Walking a bit is fine, but it becomes a bigger deal when the climbs are steep and long. I know that I walked way more miles than I found acceptable one climb in the Sierras and would have killed for a gear lower than 20". On the other hand 21.7" was OK for the entire TA. Still, I wouldn't have minded a bit lower a few places in the Appalachians.

staehpj1

I have read a lot of your posts over the last few years and as how you did the TA on a Windsor pretty much stock was partly the reason I bought the one I did when I found it used close to home. You as many on here are, on the other end of the touring spectrum from me in accomplishments and abilities at this point. So I really appreciate these forums for allowing us that aspire to learn from those that have done.

On the topic of pushing a loaded bike up a hill I have had a little experience at least enough to know it's not fun and a means to an end.
A couple points and a idea:
I ride my Windsor from the tops, the drops and the horns, but not the hoods. I raised my bars and lowered my STI's to suit me riding more in the drop position, and I added a front only brake leaver to the tops. Works nice to take off a little speed when on the tops I use it getting on and off the bike and to hold the bike against a hill when stopped. I also found it handy when pushing and taking a breather.

Now for the idea, (no laughter) pushing is a awkward task and puts a strange twist in the back, peddles get in the way of shin etc. has anyone tried or has anyone seen a simple harness setup say a cargo strap and a short cord with a hook that could maybe hook to the seat post or more back. go over your head and under the right arm so a person could pull and push at the same time. Just a crazy idea I had and if it could use some pieces of equipment already carried that would be better. I haven't tried it yet so maybe it’s a dumb idea. Haha.