Old 08-18-11, 09:19 AM
larry_llama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a large, strong vintage touring frame..what bikes should I consider?

I used to have a Long Haul Trucker but I sold it in order to fund a Big Dummy purchase. I have done a few tours on the Dummy and I love it. I originally bought the LHT used and it turned out to be a size too small for me anyways so I don't regret selling it - but now I want to build up a comparable replacement.

I recently did a short tour which involved a bus ride at the end. That meant building up a touring bike that was box-able (no Big Dummies allowed).

I built it up based on an old CCM 5 speed city frame. I chose it because it was tall and had a very slack seat tube angle with long chainstays. It was very comfortable but it was WAY too flexy. Three days in I had to ditch my handlebar bag because I was getting frame shimmy even on level ground and occasionally even on uphills.

I am a tall rider who prefers a larger frame (60-62cm). I also carry a lot of weight on tour. So while I prefer the feel of steel, for my loaded bike I will need something on the stiffer side of things.

I could get another LHT frame but I would much prefer the thrill of the chase to find an older touring frame that suits my needs - and of course I hope to find an old gem for a much lower price than a new frameset.

I have encountered a bunch of very lucky touring bike finds lately but sadly they are ALL too small. I have a Trek and a Cramerotti, both fantastic machines with canti brakes. I also have a matched pair of Panasonics but they are lower end bikes without brake bosses. As time permits I will fix these up and sell them to fund my own touring bike, but so far the monster size frame I need has eluded me.

I'm hoping to get some ideas of makes and models I should consider. I prefer long chainstays, slack seat tubes and as mentioned, I need something sturdy.

Any ideas for bikes that I should be watching for?

Thanks!