Old 06-29-05, 11:32 AM
chocula

Bikes: '79 Peugeot UE8, '89 Schwinn Mesa Runner, '79 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Platy
are there any real differences between bike commuting and the kind of utility cycling we do?
Now that this sub-forum is here, I don't lurk in the commuting forum as often as I once did. I commute to work only occasionally, so I never felt completely at home in that forum. However, I think I can identify one difference between utility cycling and commuting: I suspect the average commuter is much more concerned about travel time and speed than the average utility cyclist. After all, commuters commute to work and most workplaces expect employees to turn up at an appointed hour. Much of the logistics involved seem to be related to ensuring that the commuter arrives at work on time.

Contrast that to my errands, which I usually take care of after work and on weekends: It doesn't really matter when I get to the store or library, as long as there's enough time for me to conduct business before they lock the doors. A commuter required to be at his or her desk at a certain hour probably doesn't enjoy the luxury of exploring new routes and getting sidetracked, which I do on a regular basis (except when I have perishables on the bike). On some days I must complete my errands in a finite amount of time, but I'm not under anywhere near the amount of pressure I imagine daily commuters face.