View Single Post
Old 08-20-11, 03:14 AM
AL NZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I just bought a '55 Humber rod-brake roadster basket-case the other week, and I am happy that when it arrived that it is all there, including all chaincase parts.
However mucho rusto!
All the chrome is shot, with deep rust that is 3-dimensional.
And annoyingly, one of the brackets for the mudguard is missing the semicircular top 'loop' so I will need to get that repaired.

I have started on an expensive, but so-far-successful, campaign of buying the necessary chrome parts on UK ebay, and getting them posted one-by-one to NZ. Ouchy
So far I have the Humber-specific front fork brake-clamps (10 pounds), a set of various rodbrake parts (12 pounds) and a good set of rod brake handlebars (25 pounds). plus a fair bit extra to the good folk at Royal Mail for delivery..

I need to sort some wheels. The current wheels have a SA AG dynohub, but I don't know how good the gears are. The rims and spokes are shot. I am loathe to rebuild a wheel on a hub that might have stuffed gears, so I might look for another hub. I have some reasonable NOS Araya 28" rims, but not authentic for a Raleigh/Humber

The frame is blue, but needs a repaint. Too rusty.
I am in no hurry, and one small dilemma is how to rechrome the very rusty fork crowns AND repaint the forks.. any hints?