Old 08-20-11, 11:12 AM
dengidog

Bikes: Habanero Titanium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnrider
I hate to be "that guy", but Mexico is in the midst of a drug war. The CIA places Mexico on the same safety level as Pakistan. 40 people were murdered in Mexico last weekend. I think I would find a different destination. It's one thing to vacation at a resort in Cozumel or Cancun. It's quite another to bike across the Mexican hinterlands.
As "that girl" who lives in Mexico and bikes daily, I can tell you that the drug wars the US is so fond of blasting in the news is generally between rival drug gangs. Stay away from drugs, use common sense and you'll be fine. Most Mexicans love helping out and you'll find a smile, along with por favor and gracias, will take you a long way. As for the catcalls, it's not you in particular, it's part of the machismo thing...almost expected if you're male and breathing. I'm 53, way past my prime, and I still get them (I figure that the opticians are very underused here). It's just part of life. Ignore them and move on. They won't quit, but will increase if you react.

Just like in the US, stay on well-traveled roads and you'll be fine.