Old 08-20-11, 11:35 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We get a lot of freeze/thaw cycles through the winter here, interspersed by dumps of snow and the occasional cold snap. Last year we had record-breaking snowfall with 3x the normal average dumping. In one 24-hour period alone we got 110 cm (~43 inches) of snow.

I commuted through my first winter on a 24-speed hybrid with rim brakes and a set of 35mm studded tires. It was adequate, but I found that it was lacking in a number of respects. First and foremost, I hated the constant cleaning of the drivetrain. I found it to be a real hassle. Secondly, my derailleur froze up on me a few times. After the first time it happened I learned to keep the bike in 4th gear when I locked it up, so that I could at least limp home. Lastly, my rim brakes ended up caked in ice on a number of occasions, rendering them virtually useless.

I decided that the ultimate winter commuter for me would have an internally geared hub (IGH) to negate the shifting problems, disc brakes that would perform consistently in all weather conditions, and belt drive to reduce maintenance. Despite the newness of belt drive for bicycles I settled on a 2010 Norco Ceres. My commute is mostly paved surface streets, and the city is pretty good about plowing, so I didn't feel the need for a fat-tired beast that would float over top of snow. Instead I opted for the set that had worked well on my hybrid, Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires. They cut through new snow and slush to find purchase on the frozen pavement beneath, and on ice their grip is surprisingly sure-footed.

Obviously, what works for one does not necessarily work for another. My setup works for me in the conditions that I face. As members here are fond of saying, your mileage may vary.

Ride safe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HPIM3209.jpg (85.0 KB, 18 views)
HPIM3215.jpg (84.4 KB, 19 views)
HPIM3205.jpg (95.8 KB, 18 views)
HPIM3213.jpg (85.9 KB, 19 views)
SSPX0553.jpg (93.8 KB, 20 views)