Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigB
Oh, good grief.

Compromising on-bike comfort and/or utility simply for the sake of modesty is a quick path to giving up riding, IMO. Who the hell cares what you look like when you ride? The fact that you're riding is what's important.

If someone truly believes they've achieved all the comfort that's available to them by riding in baggy shorts and underwear, more power to them. But if that outfit gives you even a little discomfort on the bike, then you need to get over your spand-o-phobia, or you'll find your discomfort will eventually lead to staying home on the couch.
I agree with what you're saying, but I used to be one of those who were "modest" and I certainly understand the thought process of someone who doesn't want to wear spandex.

As large people, we're made fun of a lot. It hurts. Some people don't have as thick of a skin as others, and the prospect of being made fun of even more may be too daunting for them to handle.

That being said, I've been wearing spandex for about 2 months now. I like it a lot, and I have yet to be made fun of specifically for the spandex. Maybe people are thinking it in their head, but the way I get around this is by saying to myself "Hey, who cares what they think about me right now, in another few months I'll look totally different!".