Old 08-23-11, 01:31 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chagzuki
I don't think there's any difference in terms of flex between low and high-end Dahons. If the clamps are manufactured poorly then there might be play which will translate as flex in terms of the riding experience. I've ridden ultra-low end folding bikes that are much stiffer than my Brompton due to the clamps and tubing being larger. Assuming the clamps are properly manufactured the main culprit of flex in folding bikes is the (long) stem/handlepost, which is a drawback of most folding designs. The longer the stem/handlepost the greater the flex, so if stiffness is the priority best avoid all long-stem type folders altogether.

I'm guessing the Nova frame is much the same as any Dahon of a similar folding design.
There is a difference between the Mu and the Speed frames, Mu being a bit stiffer both in terms on the hinge area and the handlepost. The same designers who made the Mu are now with Tern and their Verge and Link lines have even stiffer frames claimed compared to the latest Mu, which should ride even better.

The last time I rode a Nova frame, it's not as stiff as the Speed P8 or even a Mu P8, but suprisingly enough my Mu SL is stiffer and more responsive than my former more expensively custom made Bike Friday which was supposedly made stiff enough for good performance.

Having said that, Nova is an ok frame made for the purpose that it was designed for much the same as someone sinking so much money trying to make a Trek 520 touring bike into a Madone racing bike without understanding that a bike will best operate when it was soley designed for that specific purpose!