View Single Post
Old 08-23-11, 11:04 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c.miller64
It's interesting to see the range of fuel requirements for different LD cyclists. If I tried yours I'd probably have a major case of heartburn, a stomach ache, a reduction in power output, and bonk not long after 100-200 miles.
Yes, it's very true that different people need different things on the bike for long rides. Some people get along better with energy gels and energy bars and endurance drink formula and need less food. I'm thinking that the younger you are the easier it is to handle these concentrated processed foods but they can catch up with you when you get older. Also, younger riders can handle more sugar because they can metabolize it better. And because trained younger riders are likely to be riding at higher wattages they may need more easy to digest quick energy solutions.

One thing that triathlon ironmen do is take little maltodextrin wafers which the body can more easily digest and convert into glucose. I don't know if they make these things or buy them. I think that these things have been replaced largely with energy gels packets now. And the triathletes seem to think that it is generally better to have one that is made with several different kinds of sugars. But as general rule Fructose should be avoided because it is slow to digest and interferes with liver and kidney functions. Some people are more sensitive to it but it is best avoided.

Last edited by Hezz; 08-23-11 at 11:29 PM.