View Single Post
Old 08-24-11, 07:49 PM
ecovelo

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950, 1994 Canondale M600, 2000 Cannondale C300, 2004 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2010 Salsa Vaya, 2013 Jamis Dragon - Team Issue, 2019 Salsa Timberjack, 2020 Tern Vektron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Currently have downtube shifters - Shimano 105 SIS. They appear to be in at least "fair" condition. The bike is a Bertoni (likely built by Bianchi) and the model was considered a "sport tourer" - one model up from their low end model.

I measured the dropouts using a fabric tape measure - and I'm not sure how accurate the combination of the measured marks and my eyes, are. I was thinking I read somewhere that many/most bikes from that era had 128mm spacing.

I am just starting out with this bike... learning as I go. Because the ride is so much fun and the frame fits so well, I definitely want to keep it and spruce it up a bit. The Mavic wheel set has been hanging in my study for 2 years! - and I was just hoping I could use them, instead of having to sell them. (I hate selling things!)

motebecane69 - yes, the "cold setting"/forcing the dropouts to a certain width, is what I want to avoid.

This is clearly a "fun" bike - and I have no need to go more than an 8 speed rear cassette; I was just wondering with the rear wheel built with a newer hub - meant for 8,9 or 10 speeds, if the wheel would still fit in the rear spacing of a bike that was built for a 6 speed hub. Sounds like, with all I've just learned from all of you, it should be fine.

Thanks again for all the help! I'm excited to get started.... hopefully the wheels won't hang in my study too much longer!!