Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
On my world tour I loved cycling throughout this region. People are correct that only the northern border areas on Mexico are particularly dangerous. I rode primarily through thed mountainous middle of the country, touched the coast only a little bit near Puerto Vallarta. A couple of sure ways to minimize hassles:

(1) travel early in the AM and end your day early. This gives you time to enjoy the country/towns/town squares on foot and at your leisure. Troublemakers sleep all day after being out in the late evening and nighttimes.

(2) similarly, cross borders as early in the day as possible; and get thru them as quickly as possible. Everyone is fresh and in a good mood then. Only train and bus stations rival borders are hangouts for hucksters and criminals of every persuasion. Do your currency exchanges at Banks, not at Borders (although many crossings have banks...so thats Ok) and not with hucksters at borders unless you know the language very well and have a sharp eye for a ripoff.

(3) I stayed in the mountains. I've always found rural people to far more honest, courteous, and helpful than townies or god forbid the big cities. Life is very tough for people in these places and they open up to you as a cyclist, instead of some tour bus chair-monkey who wants to get a trinket for a song while scowling at the locals.

(4) Costa Rica is your best shot for great bicycle repair and parts.

(5) You'll be there during hurricane season. Plus its a showery climate so plan on getting wet. Its green and lovely...the spanish words are siempre primavera, I recall....always springtime! The butterflies are amazing. So are the Volcanoes.

(6) Your best guide about danger and regions are fellow people on the roads. I was on PanAm (actually a system, not "a" highway) in some places, and little paved paths in others. I got comments from truckers to farmers. State department bulletins are far too general and geared toward business and resort travelers. Glad to hear the State Department thinks mexico is as dangerous as Pakistan..on my world tour I spent alot of time in both places.

Good luck!

roughstuff

Last edited by Roughstuff; 08-25-11 at 11:48 AM.