Thread: tyre/wheel size
View Single Post
Old 08-25-11, 04:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5768 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
It's hard to tell from the picture but I think I'm seeing what looks like a tubular tire rim, not a rim for a clincher tire. That would explain the looseness. If it truly is a tubular tire rim, you're concern is warranted and you should not try to use your clincher tire on that rim.

Do you have a camera you could use to take a picture showing the recess in the rim for the tire? That would confirm the above statements and rule out a poorly manufactured tire.
If you read the OP it's clear that the rim cannot be for a tubular. These have a shallow curved profile and a wired-on tire would have no restriction to just blowing over the side.

To the OP, Many rims are made wigh deeper center wells for the explicit purpose of making installation of tires easier. With the tire in the center which has a smaller diameter than the flanges you get the slack necessary for the other side to fit over the flange. Liken it to two coins stacked, then one moved over very slightly.

As long as the tire seats properly along the flanges, using the molded lines as a guide, than it's correct, as yours appears to be from your description. Rather than worry about it, enjoy the benefit of easier mounting, and try not to snicker when you see someone trying to horse a tire onto a rim with a shallow center well.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-25-11 at 08:58 PM.