Old 08-25-11, 05:43 PM
Jbat35

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vredstein
"..but I would feel like a complete looser taking out a tarp and covering it constantly."
If you think keeping your bike dry makes you a loser, let it get wet.
"Plus if I did when I thought it would rain there would be times it didn't look like it was going to rain, and then when it starts the bike would get wet anyway."
Just convince yourself that the damaging rays from the sun are just as destructive as rust. Then you'll be motivated to cover it in all conditions.
"Also a large tarp over a bike I think would target a bike soo much that I think it would be messed with."
You just finished talking up the security you get from the lock and the cops EVERYWHERE.

I guess you have to decide which is more important to you-a complete strangers opinion of you based on you keeping your bike dry, or keeping your bike dry.
"
When I say feel like a looser I mean as in I'm the only one in the rack covering my bike with a tarp, all the people who think bikes can just take the elements would look and think that. And yes my bike is secure with locks, but it would attract attention. I know my locks are tough, but its just like that guy for the lifelock software. Even though I'm protected, I still don't want to advertise to the world "hey come see whats under here, it is probably nice." and in the case of that guy who was passing out fliers with his SSC and making billboards with it, he thought he was safe and he ended up attracting so many attempts and thief's that a few did get past him, and now hes broke.

I'm not making a thread to shoot down every suggestion I get, and any practical ones I will commend, I'm just posting why I can/or cannot use the posted solutions so further posters and viewers know that.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Thats actually a decent idea, however I work with guns a decent amount and I happen to know how cosmoline works in actions and moving parts. Lets just put it this way, A properly stored and treated gun in an armory cannot have its bolt even opened. Comsmoline seals the gun from the environment, and pretty much from everything else.