Old 08-26-11, 02:00 AM
chulho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
The higher the steerer tube, the more leverage it'll create. The more leverage, the greater the bending force. The greater the force, the more risk of the steerer breaking.
Whether it's actually critical or not I couldn't say, seems to me that quill stems ran such, or more extensions in use for years w/o any particular issues. Nevertheless, this is another design, and may have other safety margins.

Having a stack of spacers on top isn't an issue for the fork, but should you ever be thrown against the stem/bar, it leaves you with a sharper-than-necessary protrusion to land on.

As the saying goes: measure twice, cut once. But it isn't intended for indefinite adjustability. Find what you like, then cut to height.

Really? Most reasonably regular riders have no problem riding with (top of) bars level with the saddle - which it looks like you have.

If you're not comfortable with that, then I wonder what's going on. How much riding have you done previously? how old are you? any other reason for reduced function in back/torso? Maybe a trekking bar would suit you better than a drop bar.

makes sense. well, i adjusted the seat to how it feels best, then just made steering the same height. there's 4 spacers being used right now and i wouldn't feel comfortable using less... looks like i'll just have to risk the extra stress on the fork.

i'm not a "cyclist". i've ridden maybe 200 miles total in my entire life. 50 miles two weeks ago. 50 miles 4 years ago. another 100 miles maybe from ages 5 to 9. most of those miles from "costco" and "E.T." bike.

i'm 33, 5"9, 140 pounds, so on the thin side. i'm in good shape from rock climbing and freediving... and i can safely say i'm more flexible than average. no problems with hips, back, etc.

the bar height isn't "uncomfortable"... but after about 30 miles of riding two weeks ago, i felt some discomforting pressure on my hands... like i was leaning on it too much. friends said to use core...and that if i don't get it, it'll come. but i also read that for touring, a lot of people prefer more upright position- where the bar is higher than the saddle.

i also noticed people use gloves, but i'd want to ride without them if i can.

i was going to raise the bar up and see how that feels. the thing about not locking your shoulders but slightly bending your elbow... don't really get that yet. maybe that's the problem....

thanks for noticing these little things!! much appreciated!!

oh...and i thought about trekking bar, or those looped ones on REI's novara safari bike. but there are plenty of people who tour the world with dropped bars, so i figured i can work with drop bar as well.

Last edited by chulho; 08-26-11 at 02:10 AM.