Old 08-26-11, 10:32 AM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nerull
Or you could just learn to adjust your FD.

And good luck selling road riders a system you'll break by shifting under load. IGHs don't like that.
I thought automatic IGH systems didn't like shifting under load (turn off the auto-shifting before you stand to pedal). Shimano Alfine at least is known to shift under full load, so does SRAM's offering. As there are more, smaller gears inside these 8-9 speeds than comparable 3 speed systems, I'd assume a 3 speed IGH would have stronger gears with better contact surface area and thus more efficiency and load bearing capabilities.

My FDR doesn't seem to like shifting under load. Often the chain will fall off the bottom, somehow ... gets caught under the crank and against the frame, and I have to backpedal to fix it (?!). Not sure what that is. Probably misadjusted. It makes sense if you assume the bottom of the chain catches the chainring before the top, in which case it's being pulled by the bottom and then when the top shifts over there's a little free chain up front... but that should fix itself in a half revolution.