Old 08-26-11, 08:27 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 1slowride
My cassette is a 12/25 The lowest gear I can find in a campy cassette is 29. I would like something lower and want to avoid going to a compact crank too.
Get a triple crank. You'll keep your existing spacing between gears and the same outer two rings but have a low for the mountains. With the stock 30T inner ring you'll have a low gear like 39x33 and can go even lower if need be.

I wouldn't want 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-28-34 on anything but a hybrid I toodled to the corner store on.

Found an IRD "campy compatable" 10 cassette in 11/34. The question is will the the centuar RD work on this? Cant seem to find any thing about the centaur RD coming in short or long cage. Any one have any experence with these IRD cassettes? Shifting? Etc.
Which Centaur rear derailleur? Officially you'd want the long cage which isn't usually shipped on double equipped bikes. In practice you can often get a bit more wrap (depends on your derailleur hanger) and you may have multiple options for the B/A tension spring ends (my 8 speed derailleur did, although I have yet to pull apart one of my 10 speed derailleurs).

Campagnolo makes/made three 10 speed cage lengths with not all flavors available all years in all gruppos.

Short. 55mm between jockey wheel pulley bolt centers. Officially for double cranks and all cogs except 13-29, 30T of wrap, and 26 large cog.

Medium. 72.5mm between jockey wheel pulley bolt centers. Officially for double cranks with all cogsets, triple cranks for all cogs except 13-29, 32T of wrap, and 29 large cog.

Long. 89mm between jockey wheel pulley bolt centers. Officially for all cranks and cogsets with 38T of wrap,and 29 large cog.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-27-11 at 11:29 AM.