Old 08-29-11, 05:49 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About a month ago, I started getting the weirdest noise that would creak every revolution -except- when spinning smoothly or standing. It would only creak when sitting and spinning under load (like a long uphill). Mind you, I hadn't done much to the drive train recently except replace some pedals (broke axle on one), then re-adjust the seat a tiny bit, and then moved the seat back a little, adjusted the handlebars and tilt - rewrapped the tape. But that was all. So how odd that suddenly, when I pedal sitting down under load, it would creak or rather, click.

So, I tore everything apart on the drivetrain, and nothing would fix it. Then on the off chance of trying out a new seat post, the creak went away. I put the old seat post back and it started clicking again. But it was a different sound now. I looked under the seat and noticed a few small round gouges in the plastic bottom of the saddle. The old seat post had a bolt that stuck up too far, and it was scratching and etching the bottom of the saddle. On a hunch, I dremel cut the bolt to length, and re-chased the threads and retightened the bolt. Total silence again.

Sometimes the weirdest noises come from the least likely places.