View Single Post
Old 08-30-11, 07:28 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Another Bike Fitting

My LBS includes a 2-hour, $250-value lifetime fitting service with every bike they sell. So, after putting about 250 miles on the new Synapse, I scheduled my fitting for last night (they recommend getting some miles in first, so you have some experience with how the bike feels, good or bad, before they begin to tweak things).

It was a pretty impressive session. They put the bike on a trainer, but before I got on it, we spent about 30 minutes talking about all kinds of things - my biking experience, how far and fast I ride, what other bikes I've owned, any injuries, surgeries or medical/physical conditions that need to be taken into account, even why I ride.

Once on the bike, after about a 5-minute warmup, he began to observe my riding pretty intently. It felt kind of weird, being scrutinized that closely, but I got over it. He took a ton of measurements, examined my shoes in detail, used spirit and laser levels, knee-angle protractors and untold numbers of other tools and measuring gadgets.

2 hours later, the net result was a repositioning of my cleats, a slightly (1 cm) raised saddle, and swapped stem (from the OEM Cannondale 6-degree 110 stem to a 3T 17-degree 120, angled up). The difference in position felt immediately better while we were there on the trainer, but the real proof will be in the next actual ride. Maybe I'll try to take it out this evening if there's time.

The other great thing about this service at this LBS is, as I said, it's good for as long as I own this bike. If I decide at some point to change out the saddle, they'll dial it back in for me (even if the saddle doesn't come from them). Same thing for shoes/pedals. Or if there's any change in my body, like losing these last 25 pounds that are proving to be such a struggle.

IMO, it was well worth the sale price of the bike ($50 off list instead of the $80-90 off that the other area C'dale dealer typically charges). Plus these guys are a smaller shop, with much more personal service and attention to their customers. I actually enjoy spending time there and talking with all of them.

Last edited by CraigB; 08-30-11 at 08:39 AM.