View Single Post
Old 06-30-05, 02:31 PM
geopolitical

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with juicemouse on that one. To be honest it looks like most of the tools are hex wrenches and cone wrenches. I've been getting along fine with a cheap set of Stanley hex wrenches and a pair of double ended cone wrenches for a LONG time. Personally the tools I'd pick up would be:

1. A good reliable chaintool. Park makes a good consumer grade one. My current chaintool is actually a really cheap bell branded one but it works very well with some of the odd chains I come across.

2. A brush that's long enough to realy get between cogs/shifters/etc.

3. A set of cone wrenches. Mine look like they were just punched out of sheet steel. They really don't need to be all that strong, you're adjusting your cones not putting on crankbolts with them.

4. chainwhip and cassette lockring tool. . . I like the cheap lifu lockring wrenches. If you can find a hypercracker or a similar ripoff (I think harris cyclery sells one now?) you can just go with that option.

5. A set of relatively heavy duty hex wrenches.

6. Cable cutters.

7. Spoke wrench.

The performance set includes all of these and a few more. I honestly don't know if it's worth the $ or not depending on how much you'd use them. I've picked up most of my tools off of ebay and local estate sales over the past few years and you really don't need that many to start with. You should really assess how many of the tools you already have (most people already have some hex wrenches and a chain tool) and if that number is "zero" then buying the set is probably the way to go. If you already have a few duplicates however I'd consider buying quality tools as you go like juicemouse suggests.