Old 08-31-11, 01:36 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Specialized has the "assometer" to measure the width of your sit bones. VERY HELPFUL. When I went through the process, and they picked a width based on the measurement, I found the width difference immediately noticeable vs. my old seat (old seat was too narrow).

You kind of have to gage the seat to your bike and riding style. I read your race report, and it sounds like you are going from a mountain bike to a road bike. The seat that is comfy on one may not be comfy on the other. As way of explanation, I will give you my action packed seat story:

I bought a Specialized Romin seat in a "155" width after getting measured. I compared it to a Toupe, which had more padding, and chose the Romin as essentially the lightest, hardest seat I could find. The guys at the LBS said I may regret it, because my seating position on my hybrid had the bars essentially level with the seat. I pshawwed them and got it anyway.

I rode it for two weeks, and could not get used to the thing, hurt, hurt, and more hurt. So I put it in the someday box and put the old narrow seat back on.

About a month later, I built a new hybrid, with the bars about 4.5 - 5" below the seat, changing my weight distribution. I slapped on the Romin, and loved it from the get go. Changing my weight distribution totally changed the seat. If I get a road bike, I will get that same seat again.

So at the end of that, don't get a seat thinking it will work on everything, and when you do get a seat, listen to your LBS if they seem knowledgeable.