Old 08-31-11, 04:25 PM
powerhouse

Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Proposed Surface Transportation Bill: What's in it for bicyclists?

I'll try to remain as unpolitical as possible about this.

Our current US President will soon be proposing that a new surface transportation bill to Congress to replace the highwaw bill that will soon expire. It hopefully will address (and hopefully improve) roads, bridges, and highways that are in need of repair or improvement. Given that many areas of the country have also received damage to its infrastructure due to natural disasters, such a surface transportation bill would not be refused.

Where this leaves the bicyclist is that he/she has to use many of the same roads that people operating other vehicles do. Paved shoulders and/or bicycle lanes were added to some roads for the benefit and safety of the bicyclist. Unfortunately, less and less money has been allocated for the construction and upkeep of these projects. As time passed, adequate road maintainence was focused on fewer miles of travel lanes while paved shoulders and bicycle lanes were ignored and left to deteriorate. Hopefully, a newer surface transportation bill would give construction and repair of these and other transportation facilities.

I'd like to go further with this but I don't want to get this thread moved or closed. Do you think this proposed bill should have more for the bicyclist? If so, what? Discuss.