View Single Post
Old 09-02-11, 06:44 AM
bikeymama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
These kind of bikes are very common here. Very sturdy. hey put out hundreds of thousands of them each year. Don't hesitate to put a child seat on it, it's made for that. Concerning quality it's a solid mid range bike.
Originally Posted by noglider
It may be lighter than the typical Dutch bike.

The Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub is one of the best pieces of cycling equipment in history.

I've worked on a ton of English 3-speed bikes, which yours resembles. They are some of the most durable and reliable bikes around. I like working on them. Everything is made of high quality materials. I know all the quirks and problems and their solutions. It may be hard to find a 3-speed bike expert, but you probably won't need to, either. They're not hard to learn about.

There's an English 3-speed in the bike shop where I work, waiting for repair. I hope I get a chance to do the repairs.
Originally Posted by Italuminium
I live on a typical dutch canal, which somehow ends up full of bikes. Mainly bikes like this. I regularly see bikes getting dredged all caked in the dreadful sludge, and amazingly, they still run! If you keep the chaincase closed they practically last forever. The bike I ride when I'm over at my parent's place was bought new by my granddad in the sixties and still runs without a creak, the only thing that was replaced are the tires.
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I'll bet it weighs 35-40 lb.
Thank you so much for the info, you guys, very reassuring! I am in love with the bike. Going to try to get my hands on a Bobike Maxi child seat for it...