Old 09-03-11, 11:47 AM
jchibante

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjpitts
Ok, here is a diagram with the parts at issue.

My problem is getting the ends of coiled spring 7 lined up with the notches in cap 6 and lever 10. At least that is what I was trying to do.

I fixed a pair last night and found out a trick to help make it a little easier:
1- Squeeze the brake all the way and hold part 10 so that where the spring sits is horizontal
2- Place the spring in the notch of part 10 and the o-ring(8) in its seat.
3- Line up the cap (part 6) so that the spring will sit in its intended notch, it won't be in its correct position, the cable guide should be at roughly 12 o'clock and it should be horizontal, so it can just sit there without falling
4- Now insert the bolt (part 3) and tighten enough to compress the spring
5- With the spring compressed and the spring seated you should still be able to move the cap (6) clockwise towards the notch on the lever where it will sit
6- Once it "clicks into the notch, just finish it off by tightening the bolt (3)

Step 4 is the crucial part, you have to tighten it as much as you can while still be able to rotate it counter clockwise, if it isn't tight enough the spring won't be compressed enough and it will slip out of its notch. If its too tight to rotate into place, just loosen it slowly until it is just loose enough to get into place.

After about an hour of messing with this, once I figured this out, it took me all of about 30 seconds to put both levers back together working good as new.