Old 09-07-11, 07:44 PM
daveydave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't tell you how many friends have come to me asking for advice on what to get for a first bike. Generally, these friends are looking to:

a.) get into cycling for fitness
b.) want to do some light touring / charity rides
c.) might want to go off road
d.) expect to do some beginner group rides once their fitness is up (usually 14 - 16mph avg rides)

So long as they don't want to tackle technical off road trails or race in a criterium / road race, the cross bike is the perfect bike for them. My biggest frustration is when someone buys something that doesn't fit all their needs. I can't tell you how many friends come back from purchasing a road bike, fixed speed, or mountain bike & realize that I was right about my suggestion of a cross bike.

A cross bike is the most versatile bike there is for the general population. Don't think too much about it. If you find the desire to get on faster rides during the summer, I know plenty of ppl who ride their cross bikes in races, time trials and on faster group rides. They simply put on thinner road tires that are 23 - 25mm tires, and sometimes swap out the larger chainring from a 40 whatever tooth to 50 or 53 teeth chainring.

Don't think about it too much, just get out there and ride. I suspect that you'll love your cross bike. It will allow you to ride confidently in all types of weather.

I'm not sure where you are from, but a cross bike is ready for any season & most surfaces.

Dave