Old 09-08-11, 12:13 AM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I would buy the PW in a hearbeat in freewheel format. The most recent hubs I bought were White industries, for cassettes. I wish I had bought the PWs for freewheel, now that I see the dish. That said the whites are excellent for cassetes, and much lighter and cheaper than PW, while having essentially the same rep. But unlike Phil they don't specifically support the touring market. PW goes back far enough that the touring market actually counted.

I probably wouldn't buy the Ti BB since the shaft is not high diameter rotating weight. And the weight difference in minimal, and the steel is stronger, but all that said, if as a budget line for both weight and money, it makes sense for you then do it. But for me it doesn't really help, and Ti has some odd features. Flexible, more galling.

I don't claim to be up to date on PW stuff and they are doing cool new stuff but... One of the selling points for the cheaper White cassette hub is that unlike the Phil tank it has a Ti shell (the weak point on cassette hubs). That makes more sense to me than a ti quill I will be beating on with all my considerable weight and muscle.