Old 09-08-11, 07:03 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a non-directional chain (aka a "symmetric" chain), it doesn't matter directionally which way the chain is applied, and so it should not hurt to remove the chain and reverse the direction. And for most chains today that don't have a special master link, you still require a chain rivet tool to push the pin mostly out to remove the chain for a thorough dunking in cleaning solvent. I've been using this as an opportunity to reverse the chain for decades now, and it naturally makes sense. Why? Because I'm lazy and need to flip the chain around so the pin that got pushed out and was facing into the bike, is now facing outside toward me so I don't need to try and push the pin back in from the other side of the bike. I stand or sit on the same drive side of the bike and reconnect the chain by pushing the pin back in from the same side I pushed the pin out originally.

And the upshot? Well, I do replace chains, but for a big guy my size, I really don't get the same level of wear some other folks seem to be reporting. I get much higher mileage on my chains. Maybe 7K - 10K on most of my bikes that have maybe had chains swapped out once in 20 years. And it makes me wonder if the wear and stretch comes more from slow abrasion from dirty chains than actual tension on the chain. Because certainly I exert a lot of tension, but I don't see the level of stretch others seem to report. However, I do clean my chain fully with solvent almost every month. Maybe I've got far less dirt and grit on my chain, and that's probably why it's lasting so long. I used to be afraid that my rough handling of chain link pins would wear out the center holes and the more I'd push pins out and back in with the chain tool, the greater the chance I might repeat with the same link too often, then I'd have that link someday fail. But that has never happened even once in decades of cleaning my chains. So side plate wear at the link pin holes must not be significant, even with habitual removal of pins. Maybe the secret to avoiding chain stretch is actually keeping it clean.