View Single Post
Old 09-09-11, 12:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Saw this a while back and thought about it during my tour in late June/early July when we stayed at the free, cyclist campground in Twin Bridges, MT. Between lunch out, groceries and wine for dinner, doing laundry, breakfast and coffee out and sandwiches and snacks for the next day's ride, the two of us spent over $100. And that did not include the $20 we left as a donation.

While we were there, the man who takes care of place stopped by to check up on things and to empty the "iron ranger." He told us how some of the town fathers were not behind the place because they feel that cyclists don't spend money.

We weren't the only ones who stayed there that night. There was a solo cyclist and a couple from Germany. I know the solo rider had dinner at a restaurant in town and got a few takeout beers from the grocery store. I believe the German couple bought groceries, too.

Next to the bike camp is a small motorists rest stop. At one point in the afternoon, a man in a car parked, walked over to the bike camp, took a shower, jumped back in his car and drive off. I wonder if he spent any money in town. Her certainly did not leave a donation.

I wish I had kept a record of how much money we spent out on the road. I know if was a lot for 9 days. And virtually all of it was spent at local, independent businesses. Other than a CVS Pharmacy and two Safeway grocery stores, I cannot think of one chain business we patronized while out on the road.