Old 09-10-11, 01:45 PM
tchen510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like you got it all, bartape is good, but you probably knew that. I think that Tektro levers may be cheaper than the Cane Creek ones, and are pretty much the same. The bar-end shifters should work with any derailleur, so those are fine. The stem is not necessary, unless you want the same position, not a more aggressive position. One important thisng is the brake cables. When I converted my hybrid, I needed to buy new brake cables because the shape of road cables is different that that of mountain/hybrid cables. I used my old shifters, so i don't know about shifter cables, but you may want to look into that. A new set of cables is as cheap as $10 for Dura-Ace.

If you are going as far as to buy DA bar end shifters and CC brakes, you may want to consider integrated shifters. Nashbar has a pair that is about $130, but you would need new brakes, which would be about $30. The rear derailleur should work fine with any shifter, but the front one may be different, but they are cheap to find . I don't know how much the bar-end shifters and CC brake levers are, but i think it would be almost the same, if not cheaper to buy the integrated shifters.
Bar-end is fine, but you will probably prefer integrated since braking and shifting is in the same place.

Good luck with your conversion. I think you will be happier with drops, I know I am.