Old 09-11-11, 01:47 AM
Spatulor

Bikes: Jamis Ventura Sport 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Changing the derailleur to bring the MTB one on to the Jamis won't help if the Jamis has road shifters.

Is the Jamis originally equipped as a triple with triple shifters?
No, the Jamis came with double shifters, not triple, but the way it shifts, even with the original crankset, is odd - I have to shift up as if going up two gears, but going down once takes it all the way down. I actually tried it with the mtb crank (in my back yard, with the bike lifted off the ground), setting the chain on the smallest chainring by hand and shifting up. It worked, but the front derailleur wouldn't go far enough down to shift to the smallest chainring by itself.

Originally Posted by Ciufalon
Did you adjust the inner limit screw on the front derailleur? Might that allow it to shift to the small chain ring?
Won't go low enough. Almost, but not quite. The front derailleur from my mtb might have worked, but sadly, it looks like Rowan was right, and the crank won't stay tight. It's not a huge loss though, or even a major inconvenience, as the original crank is still undamaged, and I was considering switching it back anyway. The experience has certainly taught me a few things though, which I consider more than worth the trouble.