Old 09-11-11, 03:54 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Spatulor
No, the Jamis came with double shifters, not triple, but the way it shifts, even with the original crankset, is odd - I have to shift up as if going up two gears, but going down once takes it all the way down. I actually tried it with the mtb crank (in my back yard, with the bike lifted off the ground), setting the chain on the smallest chainring by hand and shifting up. It worked, but the front derailleur wouldn't go far enough down to shift to the smallest chainring by itself.

Won't go low enough. Almost, but not quite. The front derailleur from my mtb might have worked, but sadly, it looks like Rowan was right, and the crank won't stay tight. It's not a huge loss though, or even a major inconvenience, as the original crank is still undamaged, and I was considering switching it back anyway. The experience has certainly taught me a few things though, which I consider more than worth the trouble.
The intermediate click on the shifter is a trim function, used to move the front derauilleur every so slightly to stop chain rub when in the biggest or smallest cogs on the rear. It's not meant to be a triple-shifter.

(Shimano did do a triple shifter in Ultegra that was adaptable between doubles and triples -- I have one and it works quite well).

Sorry about the crank, but you at least have an alternative.

What I do like is your attitude. You're looking for solutions by experimenting. Keep asking the questions -- perhaps directing the more mechanical ones to the Bicycle Mechanics Forum -- and you will certainly keep on learning..

That almost certainly will make your bike riding much more enjoyable because you know you are more self-reliant.