View Single Post
Old 09-11-11, 08:07 AM
BiCycleRace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fairymuff
I would be looking at the top of that range, and stretch it a little if possible. There's lots of bikes in the £300-£400 range, but you will get better quality if you spend a bit more. Having said that: bear in mind that accessories will cost as well.
Yes, hopefully I'll get at least £1,000 for the car so I may be able to aim a bit higher. I might have been pessimistic in my budget as we do live a world knee-deep in financial mess. Of course I'll have to add on for mud guards, d-locks and so on.

I refer the gent/lady to post #5.
I should have mentioned I'm a young male in my mid 20's.

Originally Posted by SlimRider
Alright, BicycleRace!

Here we go. I can't impress upon you enough, how important it is to get a steel-framed bicycle. I have a steel Nishiki Sebring road bike that's almost thirty-years old and it's my best riding bike. I now have four bikes. One was purchased just a few weeks a ago. My aluminum Trek 7.5 FX was purchased in 2007. I just refurbished a steel Giant Innova from 1993. It looks brand new, but it isn't. However, I digress.........

The point is that when you buy a steel-framed bike, you should consider it an investment. The other bikes will most certainly last you for a minimum of five years, at least, in most cases. However, aluminum suffers from stress fatigue and will NOT outlast steel in most cases. Should we discuss carbon? Let's NOT!

If there's one thing that Raleigh makes well, is the bike's frame. They make some of the best lugged road bikes in the world. I personally, own one of them, the Raleigh Grand Prix. That's the bike I purchased a few weeks ago and it rides on a cloud.

Well in the UK, Raleigh also makes a steel-framed bike, called the Oakland. It has eighteen speeds and is well within your budget. Remember, you can always upgrade later...

For 220 pounds, it's a genuine steal.

You might want to check it out. Otherwise I'd look into the Fuji Absolute 2.0 ...

Just go Online to www.about-bicycles.com/Bike-Reviews/fuji-absolute-hybrid.html

Then click onto 2011 Absolute 2.0

PS.

The componentry on this Fuji bike is unbelievable for the price of just over 400 pounds!

* Just spotted this on Bikesdirect.com

Motobecane- Cafe Express @ 285 pounds (If you're not interested in the Oakland or Fuji, this is your next best selection).
SlimRider! Yes, there's some good points in there - I will certainly take this into consideration.

Oh. One more thing: now is actually a very good time to buy a bike. The 2012 models are coming in, so shops are discounting the 2011 models, which often are no different apart from colour. As an example: the 2011 Trek 7.3FX with rim brakes is available from Evans for £425, down from £500. The disc brake model is £490 down from £550, but only available in limited sizes.

Which reminds me: do make sure you get a bike in a size that's appropriate for you. Unfortunately, many shops will sell you whatever size they have on the shop floor, rather than the one you need. If you go to a larger shop like Evans, you can check the availability of the different sizes online. If they don't have your size at the local shop, you should be able to have one sent down from the warehouse.
Yes I'll probably need an 18 - 20" frame as I'm around 32-34 on the inside leg. CycleKing are my nearest LBS as they are almost right on my doorstep. However, looking at their hybrid's (http://www.cycleking.co.uk/1_3_3_Gen...kes_3_asc.html) they don't seem that good so I may well go to Evans.