View Single Post
Old 09-12-11, 01:01 PM
aixaix 
car guy, recovering

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I agree that there are fundamental differences between men and women that inform their work: what they do and how they do it. My only point is that there are exceptions. Your daughter isn't interested in working with her hands, while mine loves it. If you were to generalize from these two examples, concluding that 50% of women like working with their hands would be as wrong as if you built a rule around either example alone.

I don't think we disagree about anything fundamental here. You certainly could believe that there are female auto mechanics, even if you haven't met any. Where we may differ is that I believe that cultural norms and expectations play a large part in gender roles; that you cannot put it ALL down to the intrinsic differences between men and women. Not so very long ago, the percentage of female engineers, mechanics, etc. was approximately zero. Cultures change faster than large mammal genetics, so I doubt this significant change (from 0% to 5%) is due to mutation! I do think WW II & the late 20th century recession had more to do with it than the women's movement, though that had a significant impact as well.