Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Sorry. Meant the Aerohead. Yes, it is a narrow rim but I'm don't believe that rim width has a whole lot to do with rim strength. I also happen to believe that rim strength doesn't have a whole lot to do with wheel strength. The spokes do all the heavy lifting, the rim is just along for the ride.

I ride mountain bike rims that are that thin and have never had an issue with rim failure due to the width of the rim. I'd choose the Aerohead over the Synergy to get shorter spokes.
True that rim width doesn't have much to do with wheel strength, but it has a lot to do with tire width. I'm happy touring our tandem on pavement with 19mm rims, but not at all happy on gravel. I'd want at least 24mm rims.

Rim depth, OTOH, has a lot to do with wheel strength, especially spoke longevity because it reduces spoke tension on either side of the contact patch, as a deep rim doesn't flex as much. Thus I see tandems breaking spokes on Dyads, but have never seen that with a Deep-V, a narrower rim. I've torqued a few Aeroheads on our tandem, and wouldn't recommend them for 3rd world touring, though I like them for a light front rim on pavement. They seem a little bit stronger than an Open Pro. Brake tracks seem a little soft, though.

I mention touring on our tandem because if we can tour with particular gear at 400 lbs., it should be even more durable at 200 lbs.