View Single Post
Old 07-03-05, 01:56 PM
ericthehalfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I'd weigh in with some recent experiences. I'm in Fairbanks Alaska for the summer. On some roads, the city actually requires that "all" cyclists use the sidewalk. This is a busy street, but it is no different from other city streets I have ridden in. I find this situation to be more dangerous than riding on the road. There are many blind driveways, there are other cyclists riding the opposite way on a narrow sidewalk and the surface is uneven and covered with gravel. As a result I have altered my riding, namely by slowing down, or even avoiding this route. After riding in every province in Canada and 20 or so states, I have never been mandated to ride on a sidewalk. If someone rides the same way on the sidewalk as they do on the road (in my opinion) they are opening themselves up for an accident. Now, whether that accident is a skinned knee, a broken pelvis or a head injury is up for further research.
If anyone has ridden in Vancouver, BC lately, they have bike routes throughout the city that are combined bike and car ways. Most major intersections are cyclist controlled. You can easily press the cross button while still clipped in. http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/engs...ing/routes.htm
I like the Vancouver model the best. In my experience it is safe and effective.