Old 09-18-11, 10:05 PM
mello velo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
continued

She has recommended that I carry all the gear for both of us, and pull our 50 pound dog on a trailer! I think the LBS recommended a hybrid because its more of a fitness bike, has more gears for hills, not sure why else. The LBS said he thought the Linus Mixte would be a tiresome bike to ride past 15 or 20 miles, thereby talking himself out of a sale. Electric is always a possibility. I'm open to a tandem. Also I'm an artist, I could stop and do some sketching....
My experience in touring is limited. I did spend a week cycling around Scotland. The Isle of Skye was nice. I rode across to the Isle with a herd of sheep on a ferry.

For myself, I'm finding it challenging to pick a bike because they are not available in the shops. I'm copying over some notes from an email i sent about the choices I've been looking at if you'll bear with me:
-Raleigh Clubman- great look for 2012, seems to fit the sport touring category that I'm looking for
-Raleigh Sojourn, nice, don't really like the black color for 2012, long chainstay is good though (I have size 14 shoes)
-Surly LHT or Crosscheck- bikes are not as nice looking as the Raleighs, no fenders or pedals, not sure on specs, CC is flexible for going off paved roads- LHT has longer chainstay
-Local CL add has Surly CC in 60cm size that is a fixed speed, but could convert
-Fuji Touring- economical, decent looking
-Bianchi Volpe- I think I would like the STI's- similar to Crosscheck

-Also looking at used Trek 620, 1983 model in decent shape- $330. Needs cosmetic touch up, but frame is good. Has Shimano 105 components and drivetrain.

Thanks for everyone's comments, have a good night.

Last edited by mello velo; 09-22-11 at 04:58 PM. Reason: deleted part