Old 09-19-11, 07:34 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JandersUF
Today I did a ride I've been meaning to do since I moved to Boston.... Cape-in-a-Day. Left Cambridge around 6:15 this morning, and made it to Provincetown around 2:30... and 129.2 miles later!

I ate and drank well, but think I was a bit salt depleted and cramped in the last 10 miles. Thankfully I had a buddy along with me, and he drug me in to the finish line. Never had a quad cramp before... it hurt. This despite sodium containing drinks and such... all of my food was of the sweetish variety. I think next time I'll get pretzels or the like along the way. Also... the cape is quite a bit hillier than I expected. It seemed to be an endless series of rollers. Not a big deal until after 100 miles, then they get a bit rough. The fast ferry back to Boston was bike-friendly and awesome.

Also, the fried oysters and fries I got at the end might be the best I've ever had.
This is one of my favorite rides and those hills outside of Wellfleet into Truro get me every time, too. I love the ride through Southeastern Mass, the ride up the Rail Trail, the race for the ferry in Provincetown and that last stretch on 6A with the little beach cabins on the left is flat and fast if the wind is right. Years ago, one time, for total torture we climbed the stairs to the top of the tower at the end of the ride.

I lived in Wellfleet for a month this summer and those hills were about 3 miles into my ride to Provincetown. They are soooo much easier to do when you haven't just ridden 100 miles! The first time I rode into Provincetown from Wellfleet I was wondering what happened to those brutal hills.