carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilcphoto
Dear Carleton:

After building up a monster cross style single speed (chain tensioner) for my brother (out of a Kona Tiki Deluxe, using 700x40c tires) I have the urge to build up a 29'er with an internal hub. They just so happen to have a Focus 8 speed alfine with a belt drive. Talk about a nice setup...

So my question is... Have you ever built up a project that you were completely unfamiliar with (i.e. a 29er without knowing all of the differences between road, mtb, disc, 29'er...yadda yadda) or are you one to buy a complete and go from there? I know that for myself, getting my hands dirty while learning about everything along the way can be quite entertaining, but at the same time, quite expensive.
I've often considered buying/building a SS MTB. But, all I'd do is ride around town with it. Then I'd be unhappy with the fact that it's not as fast or efficient as a road or SS bike.

So, the million dollar question is: Are you gonna use it for what it's designed for?

If so, do tons of research. See what other guys are riding. And I'd probably buy complete at first then tweak it. Buying a-la-carte custom only serves the person who has preferences and has good reasons for exactly what he/she wants.