Old 09-21-11, 12:55 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the tips, AJ, and I've been working on just what you described, with the "not braking" being one of the keys. From when I first started riding, I realized I had a habit of braking a bit before any turn, whether I needed it or not. An ingrained "brake before the turn, then accelerate out of it" learned in cars and on motorcycles. I've gradually been kicking that habit, going from touching the lever without really braking to finally making myself just leave it the hell alone. I wasn't braking last night; just slowing a bit during the approach, and realizing I really hadn't needed to. Towards the end, I was finally smoothing it out.

I was trying to stay in the saddle accelerating out of the turns, because my OTS position isn't that aero yet, and I was able to keep up without standing. The one time I should have stood up to crank it, and didn't, was the climb of the final lap. That's the one moment I wish I could do over. I felt so cooked, I just kind of lost it and had a mental and physical lapse. I got it back, but too late.

I've also been working on the inside hand weight to get the bike tracking. I'm not always smooth, and generally am not looking far enough ahead, as I'm still overly concerned with that wheel just in front of me. It helps if I deliberately go deeper into the turn (when possible), as there is a real tendency to start the turn early, which forces you further outside after the apex. It sucks when someone cuts the corner early, can't hold it, and comes pushing into the line coming out of the turn. I don't want to be "that guy". It sure feels great when you nail a corner just right.

Thanks again - so much to learn.