Old 07-04-05, 04:38 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Machka. Traveled extensively in Western Europe. Do need a crash course in French , Spanish. Having traveled there, not too worried should we be lucky and end up there..
But Czech Rep is new to us. My wife speaks German so she should cope just fine with Czech Rep. Hungary offers special interest to us. But even that language bothers , even My wife. Well, must be easier than Greek? Wonder if Hungary has a crime problem?
As I mentioned my cycling acquaitence works for an international touring company. seems she was not very bi-lingual; but then New Zealand is english.
by way. I disagree with comment western Europe is all Brit English. Our French friends do not get along with Brit and Brit English. I hate to be the one to stir the international boiling pot. BUt read Continental commentary about Brits when the continent plays England in WOrld Cup soccer. they view the Brits as drunken sops..
Heah, I believe what I read. ? Saw such comments in Sports commentary in 'L Equipe".
But, the French may disagree with our wars, but they do not take it out on AMericans. I have come to believe they are fascinated by American ways and respect our ways, even if they would not want some of our values inflicted upon themselves.
I am told the French want to hear American english and its being less common and we being the bigger trading partner, makes for a need to understand our dialect.
I notice you interchange "Brit" with "English" which to me as a Scot seems unfair given the comments you make re the drunkenesss of English fans. The French are not fond of the English it is true but do like the Scots. On my first trip to France 35 years ago I was advised by the Patron of a campsite to change my car sticker from "GB" to "Ecosse" so as to distinguish us from "le rosbifs."
Re your plans, my wife and I lived in France for three years and my wife taught English with a EFL qualification (she is a teacher by profession). It is true the French regard an American accent as chic but do not expect too much re security and pay and the methods taught in the EFL courses in teaching English have no relevance to the methods used by the French system. Good for topping up a pension but the main drawback in France is health insurance as private insurance is expensive. Good luck with your plans!