Old 09-22-11, 11:59 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
My sense is I bought the wrong vittoria randonneur tires. It is appears and I am looking for validation that there are two distinctly different tires that share the same name.
I bought the basic vittoria randonneur 32c tires which btw measure 29mm in width.
These have I believe 60tpi and to me they are heavy and feel stiff as a board no matter what pressure I run them at...which makes sense because they have a stiff carcass due to low thread count and serious flat protection which they are good at.
Enter vittoria randonneur cross 120tpi tires. Still great flat protection...likely still a bit heavy but I presume a totally different tire in terms of flexibility because of twice the thread count. It bemuses me to understand why Vittorria would use the same name to market such distinctly different tires.
Can those that have experimented with maybe both low and high thread count randonneur tires comment on their findings?
Thanks.
I've used the randonneur cross pro 700x35's exclusively on my tours, which cover the gamut from perfect pavement to all-but-singletrack. Absolutely love them. Never had a flat, they're comfortable for all-day riding, etc. Obviously they're relatively heavy compared to tires with less shielding, but that's just what I want if I'm spending all day riding over broken shale. :-)

Vittoria uses the "randonneur" catch-all name for their city and trekking tires, so yes, there are a huge variety of sub-models, and you have to make sure you pick the right one for your purpose.