Old 09-23-11, 05:12 PM
rich rice

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, Thanks again.

The Crystal Lake ride is something I would def be up for, Fall, Spring, whenever. I just did the Harmon Hundred a couple of weeks ago, (well, 75 miles of it anyway..), and I didn't ride this one.. the gearing is a little too high for me to cope with some of those hills. Last year I rode my Dawes Galaxy on that ride, and it almost did me in. This year I built up a Motobecane frame with 18 speeds and it was much better. Maybe the Cinelli next year, after another summer of preparation.

I guess I understand the kickstand thing. I've seen too many chainstays crushed by the clamps by some bonehead with big muscles. I'll take it off and inspect it when I clean up the bike, and decide at that time. I do appreciate the concern, just the same. My son tried real hard to get me to put a kickstand on my dad's Paramount, but I refused. Same reason. I don't have one on my Motobecane, my Paramount, my Bottecchia, my Bridgestone, my track bike, or any of my other nice bikes.. Wow.. too many good ones.. I'm a little OCD.

My dad moved to Vienna, Austria about 25 years ago, and took his bike and violin with him. He has spent the last few years traveling with his second wife, riding his bikes, and playing classical music. Not a bad way to go.. He had to give up the Paramount, as it is too hard for him to get on and off of it now. He bought a Giant step-through electric assist bike, but it is too heavy for him, and he has had a number of spills. His wife told him to sell it and quit riding. I told him to sell it and get a lightweight mixte, like a Peugeot, that he can handle- and keep on riding. If he can still enjoy it, I think he should. I think it will either keep him in better shape or do him in. Either way, it's on his own terms. I guess he's bike shopping now... LOL

Again, I do appreciate the kind and helpful replies.

Last edited by rich rice; 09-23-11 at 05:29 PM.