Old 09-24-11, 01:18 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by biknbrian
Just my opion but riding for over half a year and 2500 miles sounds like way too much. You are far beyond fitness and excersice at this point and it takes time, like way more than six months, to work up to even metric centuries. I think you are starting into this biking thing too fast and if you don't back off a bit you could do some real damage. You may have already put yourself in a situtation where you have to quit for a while.
I disagree. 400 miles per month is not a big deal and it certainly does not take more than six months to work up to centuries, metric or otherwise. When I returned to cycling my commute was a 32-mile round trip, that's 600 miles per month without counting the miles I did at weekends. I never had any trouble with my knees.

OP, it's impossible for us to diagnose the cause of your problem. It could be overuse, it could be that you've been pushing a big gear, it could be some unnoticed change in your riding position. If your knees are hurting while actually on the bike (as opposed to aching after your ride) I'd guess at something positional and advise you to tinker with your saddle height and position - maybe a bit higher? Give it a couple of days rest, possibly augmented by ice and ibuprofen, and then try experimenting.