View Single Post
Old 09-24-11, 03:52 AM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I have one, like it, i'd agree it's a good deal at $125-$140 if it's in perfect condition & maybe more if it's overhauled. At that age, it would benefit from new grease in all bearings and wheels tensioned; an 'overhaul', not just a tune-up. My Le Tour was my 1st novice overhaul project about 5 years ago. In the last few days, after it was hanging unused for a while, I'm riding and appreciating it all over again.

One thing I don't like is the rear derailleur. Difficult to hit the 17-tooth cog & this is the one I use most so that's a problem. Seems a little better since I disassembled the B pivot & put fresh grease in it. A used Sun Tour would be an improvement. Just bought a 1986 Shimano 'Light Action' (made with the Sun Tour design after their patent expired), for next to nothing & am on the lookout for a proper claw-adapter. Also thought of changing the freewheel to 6 speeds with a 16-18 in place of the 17; might help with shifting & definitely with cruising speed choices. Not sure if there's room by the dropout for the wider cluster. Don't want to fool with it too much, like it as it is & afraid of damaging it's 'je ne sais quois' (or whatever that phrase is).