Old 09-24-11, 09:08 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
.................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ...........................................................
I'm very curious what you're doing to go through three cassettes a year. I'm guessing they salt/sand the roads in winter in your area. Otherwise, it seems really excessive. I ride ~4000 miles a year, about half of that in the rain, and I have yet to toss a cassette because I thought it was worn out. Maybe I'm being too lax.
Andy
I do all my biking on bumpy limestone in Wisconsin from April to November. Typical roundtrip 50 miles / day but also centuries.
Limestone dust gets into everything and I had chain failures at inconvienient times. I do clean and lubricate often but as I said........
I now replace chain and cassette every 3K as a preventive measure on the CX Stevens bike.
The other 4 months are with the Madone in Florida on pavement. That is much less of a problem but I do bike a lot there. Almost every day 70 miles. That adds up fast.
BTW, I am retired and this is how I try to stay fit for as long as possible.
While I bike a lot, more than most, I have resisted to become a bike mechanic. It is not someting I like to do.