Old 09-24-11, 09:52 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
With the exception of maybe high level athletes, joggers and runners are generally going a speed slow enough relative to traffic that their direction of travel is inconsequential to faster vehicles (they look like they're standing still to drivers going 45+). They insist on using the shoulder or bike lane because asphalt is easier on the knees than concrete (theoretically). Running against traffic is a good idea as long as they use the reason you stated and pay attention. They see me coming ahead of time and can fall into a line so I can pick the other line. As for moving to the right, I think it's common expectation for the pedestrian to be closest to the curb. Look at is as you passing them (even though you're going opposite directions, you are technically in a one-way lane) and you always pass on the left.

It is highly debatable, including the fact that if there is a sidewalk, the runners are legally required to be on it instead of in the street (at least here in CA), but I've had few problems with runners on the street as most of them jump up on the curb or hug the gutter long before I get there. Bike paths and MUPs, however... oh, don't get me started.