Old 09-25-11, 09:25 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Steven: The crank arm can be drilled out and tapped for a threaded insert called a Helicoil, which will restore your threads. Check with your local bike shops or less likely, a machine shop. You will need to end up with a 9/16x20 left-hand thread. You could also buy a replacement left crank arm. I wouldn't recommend epoxying the new pedal into the stripped crank.

Whatever approach you take, be sure to grease the threads of the new pedals before you mount them to prevent seizing of the dissimilar metals. I recommend Tef-Gel. Stainless steel pedal washers may also help get them loose when the time comes.

Use a proper pedal wrench when you mount the new pedals and torque them well, loose pedals are the leading cause of stripped crank threads. It sounds as if you were able to exert plenty of force with the tool you used, though.
+1. I'd highly advise against epoxying the pedal into the arm. You might want to check and see if your LBS has an extra crank arm to sell from the spare parts bin. Bonus if you don't mind if it looks different. The only salient specifications are crank length arm, and bottom bracket style.