Old 09-25-11, 04:40 PM
TacomaSailor

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very careful NOT to use tire levers to mount the tire. 20+ years ago, and hundreds of flats, I learned to never use a tire lever - AFTER blowing out a couple tubes with tire lever pinches.

After I mount the tire I inflate the tube to 40 pounds and bounce the wheel around it's perimeter and verify I have not pinched the tube between the tire and the bead. I then let out about 20 pounds air and visually ensure I have not pinched the tube.

I then inflate the tire to 105 psi and again verify I have a good bead all the way around.

The holes I can find all seem to be in the same GENERAL area of the wheel. I have inspected and reinspected that area of the rim and liner but it all seems smooth and clean. I can not see or feel any nicks, scratches, burrs or anything else that might puncture the tube. I suspect there is something on the wheel causing the problem but I can not figure out what it might be.

I had ridden over 3000 miles on the Aksium wheels with Continental UltraSport tires with only a couple flats. Then this problem started, I had five flats with the UltraSports and switched over to the heavier GatorSkins which seemed to make the problem worse.

Prior to this spell of flats - I had not had a rear tire flat in 1000 miles.

HELP - I'm desperate. I've been riding fairly seriously for 40+ years and have never gone thru a spell of flats like this.