Old 09-26-11, 11:52 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dglevy
okay, let's not let this thread get hijacked by one bomb-thrower.

moving on, did anyone notice, after the finish, cavendish lifting up his bike and kissing it? that would be advertising gold for the bike manufacturer, i would think.

another thing: i find it really amazing how small countries like netherlands, belgium, denmark and norway produce such outstanding racers. i can only suppose it's b/c the residents of those countries (esp. belgium and netherlands) are absolutely fanatical about the sport.

--d.
You assume correctly, especially with regard to Belgium, they're nuts about it. I find it more difficult to account for Norway, it may be a transient thing, they just happen to have a couple of top, top riders at present. But if you want a country that punches well above its weight, in this sport and in many others, you have to look at Australia. Only about 22m Australians (there are 18m Dutch) and they are among the top nations in a number of fields.

Incidentally, one of the many Australian jibes about the British is that the "poms" are only any good at sports you can do sitting down - cycling, rowing, sailing, horse-riding. Not too far from the truth...